For a while now there's been some buzz around tiny living and scaling down and a lot of talk about freedom from stuff and less waste. We recently watched the documentary Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things and we really felt pushed to challenge our mindset as far as what do we really need. I don't even know that the film ended before Paul was in the bedroom bagging up clothes to donate! Becky managed to wait 12 hours for the next morning before her closet clean out occurred. (We dare you to watch the firm and not have a massive urge to purge!) To our surprise, the themes and ideas presented in the documentary have stuck with both of us and as we approach the early (and we mean early!) stages of home ownership we're reevaluating what we really need. Not only that, we're also looking at what we really want.
What do we want? We're still processing and generating ideas but two things we do believe -- 1. We need more than 200 square feet! We are not able thinking we could live in a true tiny home, but we want to take in consideration the idea behind it. 2. We certainly could make due with much less than 2,000 square feet. We're pushing ourselves to get creative and find solutions that we both are comfortable with.
Some thoughts personal to us:
- We'd rather have a larger plot of land with a smaller house and use the extra land as outdoor living. We don't feel the need to be inside all of the time. I mean we live in LA where it's 75 and sunny almost every day so why not?!
- We'd rather have a carefully thought out wardrobe where every article of clothing is a piece we really love vs the alternative. (You know what that is!)
- Financial freedom from the oh so burdensome mortgage/debt.
- Reduce waste and consumption. We love Mother Earth!
- Have the space that we need, meaning not much extra. Only what is practical for our life now and where we want it to go in the future.
- Purchase well made furniture and accessories that are timeless instead of buying throw away pieces that will quickly fall out of trend.
If we could find a plot of land here in crazy LA we'd love to build! Because we're both designers, we decided we needed to sketch out what this might look like for us. We've played with the idea of staying under 1,000 square feet but we feel it may be a bit smaller than we would be comfortable. The other option is at 1,255 square feet, which gives us a little more of the space we were thinking.
Let us know your thoughts about tiny living and minimalism! And if you have the perfect spot for us to build our house let us know.